JA South Africa Celebrates 40 years
Tipping the scale beyond 40: preparing for greatness
On 27 June 2019, over 100 entrepreneurs, JASA alumni, sponsors, supporters and business community members convened at Citi in Sandton for JA South Africa’s 40th anniversary gala dinner.
With the theme Tipping the scale beyond 40: preparing for greatness, the event was an amazing journey down memory lane and a celebration of the entrepreneurial spirit that the JA South Africa team has helped promote over the years.
In her congratulatory remarks, Dolly Mokgatle, JASA Board Chair said, “the JA South Africa entrepreneurship model has without a doubt delivered success over the past 40 years.”
The organisation was established in South Africa in 1979 and for the past 40 years, JA South Africa has been providing experiential business, entrepreneurial and life skills to young people aged between 8 and 35 years nationwide in both rural and urban environments.
As part of its commemorative activities, awards were handed out to individuals and organisations that have played a pivotal role toward the success of JA South Africa.
- Founder of JA South Africa, Dr Stephen Black (posthumously) was awarded for his foresight and unwavering commitment to the empowerment of every young South African has helped shape so many young lives.
The award was received by his son Greg Black and daughter, Bridget Thiselton
- Founding sponsor, Board member & Trustee of JA South Africa, Mr Windsor Shuenyane. His outstanding contribution to the organisation as an executive at SA Breweries and in his personal capacity has paved way to economic success for many young people
The award was received by his wife Mama Essie Shuenyane and his Son Khumo Shuenyane
- 1st Board member & Trustee of JA South Africa, Mr Ian Clark. For his invaluable contribution to the organisation and for remaining a close friend of JA over the years
- Founding sponsor of JA South Africa, Barloworld. The award was received by Ms Gugu Sepamla the Executive for Corporate Affairs at Barloworld
- Founding sponsor of JA South Africa, was awarded to SA Breweries
- The most outstanding sponsor for the JA More than Money Financial Literacy Programme, HSBC. HSBC has been supporting JASA for 11 years. The
Award was received by Ms Priya Surendra – the Head of HR and Ms Charmaine Pillay – CE: Marketing
- The most outstanding sponsor for the Enterprise Programmes focusing on Women, Mastercard. Mastercard has been supporting JASA for 11 consecutive years!
- The Award was received by Ms Kholo Kunene – the Director for Human Resources and Ms Birgit Deibele – Director of Communications
- The most outstanding sponsor for the high school Entrepreneurship Academy Programme& the Junior Innovator’s Competition, Investec Private Bank. The award was received by Mr Setlogane Manchidi – Head of CSI and Mr Shaun Mallanna – CSI Manager
- The most outstanding Sponsor for the Enterprise Programme & Company of the Year Competition, Citi Foundation. Citi has been supporting JASA for 23 consecutive years! The award was received by Mr Peter Crawley – CCO for Citibank Southern Africa and Ms Megs Naidu – Head of Corporate Affairs
- The most outstanding partner for Enterprise Education in Schools, The Department of Basic Education has created an enabling environment for our programmes to thrive for 40 years! The award was received by Ms Juliet Namethe – the Deputy Chief Education Specialist
Board Member Recognition Awards for outstanding commitment and stewardship:
- Mrs Dolly Mokgatle, Chairperson. She has served on the JASA Board for 12 years!
- Mrs Humaira Choonara, Chairperson of the HR & RemCo of the Board, she has served on the JASA Board for 17 years!
- Mr Eric Mabuza has served on the JASA Board for 14 years!
- The most outstanding Associate for JA South Africa, Mr Abdul Rajah has served in the executive management of JASA for 26 years and continues support the organisation whenever he can.
- The most outstanding JA South Africa alumni, Mr Sthembiso Tshabalala, continues to fly the JA flag while climbing the corporate ladder. He serves on the JASA Board and Chairs the Finance and Audit Sub- committee.
Long Service Awards presented to staff in recognition and appreciation of loyal and dedicated service to Junior Achievement South Africa:
- Ms Nelly Mofokeng, for 25 years of service
- Mr Bonga Khumalo, for 12 years of service
- Ms Mpho Mcunu, for 12 years of years of service
- Mr Shabir Ismail, for 11 years of service